Monday, September 22, 2008

Over-Ambitious?

One obvious point was made to me earlier today.  Using the GRE as a measure of what i have learned is enormously ambitious.  I am not really re-learning what i forgot.  True, i did take all of the subjects in one manner or another in college.  But at least 1/3 to 1/2 of what they are testing, is in reference to junior and senior level courses.   I have taken calculus, but i haven't taken number theory at all before.  I may have taken physics, but our coverage of nuclear physics and statistical mechanics was at best perfunctory and more accurately a piffle's worth.  

Should i scrap the project? 

I tried to think of another means of measurement.  Perhaps AP tests, or some other form that doesn't deal with giving money to the ETS.

But, I can't really think of another good measure.... so, i think what i may need to do is extend my timeline.  The general concept would be to use a full year of studying before taking the two subject exams.  I am stubborn though, so i am going to see where i am by February before abandoning my current timeline.

Wish me luck!

No comments: