Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mathematics.. the language of God! Physics- God's Code!

After speaking with my father, I think I am going to pair Physics with Mathematics instead of literature.  Pairing up math with physics will hopefully allow me to understand both better when i do study them.  I am a bit dissappointed that I won't be starting up the literature section right away. Of course, i can always read stuff on my own as part of "relaxation", we'll see.

So here is my plan for Math and Physics subjects that need to be covered.

The GRE tests cover for math:

  • Approximately 66 questions.
  • Questions are based on material learned during the undergraduate years.
  • Approximately 50% of the questions are based on Calculus, 25% on Algebra, and 25% on Additional Topics.
  • Algebra topics include:
    • Elementary Algebra
    • Linear Algebra
    • Abstract Algebra and Number Theory

  • I sadly am a bit behind, so I don't think I can start right in with calculus or advanced algebra.

    The first step will be Geometry and Trigonometry. This means getting some good high school text books on the subject.  A neat idea would be to try and take some of the original greek texts, but i don't think that would be an efficient use of time.  So, if anyone has suggestions for good trigonemtry or geometry textbooks, let me know. 

    After those, I will start with Calculus, Linear Algebra and then number theory etc.  I do think i need to recover statistics as well, and will try and tie that in after Calculus.

    The list and general order for my crash course in Mathematics.  

    Geometry
    Trigonometry
    Calculus
    Statistics
    Linear Algerbra
    Number theory. 

    As for physics, here is what the GRE asks for
    Main topics include:
    • Classical Mechanics – 20%
    • Electromagnetism – 18%
    • Optics and Wave Phenomena – 9%
    • Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics – 10%
    • Quantum Mechanics – 12%
    • Atomic Physics – 10%
    • Special Relativity – 6%
    • Laboratory Methods – 6%
    • Specialized Topics – 9%
    I can think of very little reason to deviate from this list of topics.  I don't know if I can really docus on laboratory methods, but i have had some past lab experience, so we'll see if i need to really review those materials. 

    What will be nice, is if i can pair my timing to be learning Calculus and Classical mechanics at the same time.  

    I will be relying on my dad to provide physics textbooks for me, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be cool. 

    No comments: